This blended cottage cheese dip recipe tastes like a thicker, creamier version of ranch dip. To make it, blend cottage cheese and sour cream with herbs until smooth. Enjoy with chips, crackers, or raw vegetables.
If you’ve never tried cottage cheese because of its texture, I get it. Those curds aren’t for everyone. Myself included. But when it’s blended? Yum. It’s a flavor powerhouse. With its creamy, salty flavor, it reminds me of mozzarella. And not only is it tasty, but it’s also nice for folks looking for a lower-calorie, higher protein base for a dip.
Cottage Cheese Dip Recipe Ingredients.
- Cottage Cheese. This dip works with any cottage cheese. For the creamiest texture and richest flavor, use 4% cottage cheese. This is sometimes labeled “full fat” or “regular” cottage cheese.
- Sour Cream or Yogurt. A little sour cream or Greek yogurt helps make the dip smooth. If you use yogurt, use a Greek-style unflavored, plain yogurt.
- Parsley. Fresh or dried parsley adds a bit of flavor and color.
- Dill. Dried dill lends a ranch-like flavor to this dip. If you’re not a fan of dill, skip it. The dip tastes great without it.
- Onion and Garlic Powder. Use onion and garlic powder. Not onion and garlic salt.
- Black Pepper. Add as much black pepper as you like. Freshly ground adds the strongest flavor.
Where’s the salt?
There’s no set amount of salt called for in the recipe because most cottage cheese is on the saltier side. It’s best to mix the dip, taste it, and add salt as needed.
Tips for Making the Best Cottage Cheese Dip.
- Use a food processor or blender. Place all the ingredients into a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
I like to use a food processor for one reason: easy cleanup. Most blenders have a blade that’s attached to the jar. Since this dip is so thick, it can be tough to get all the dip out of the blender. If you’re using a food processor, add a little extra sour cream or yogurt.
- If the dip is too thick, add a little extra sour cream or yogurt.
- For a spicy ranch flavor, add a little cayenne pepper or a few drops of hot sauce.
- Chill before serving. You can serve this dip as soon as it’s made. But for the best flavor, I like to chill it for a few hours or overnight. This gives the herbs a chance to mingle and makes the dip so flavorful.
What to Serve with Cottage Cheese Dip.
- Raw Vegetables.
- Chicken and Fish. This dip is also great spread on cooked chicken or fish.
Cottage Cheese Dip
- 1 cup cottage cheese 4% fat
- ½ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried dill weed
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Blend until smooth. Add salt and additional black pepper to taste.
Store in the refrigerator for up to four days.
For the best flavor, use full fat (4%) cottage cheese.