Pudding dirt cups, those fluffy chocolate pudding cups topped with crushed sandwich cookies and gummy worms, inspired this easy-to-make pie. The gummy worms are an optional but really fun touch.
Chocolate Dirt Pie Ingredients.
- Chocolate Pudding. Use any chocolate pudding you love for the filling. If you want to make the filling quickly, use instant. I like to whip heavy cream into it to add a light, rich texture.
- Chocolate Sandwich Cookies. The “dirt” topping for the pie comes from crushed sandwich cookies. You’ll need about 8 sandwich cookies to coat the 9-inch pie. Place them in a bag and break them up with a rolling pin or the bottom of a glass. You can also crush them in a food processor. I like to leave some crumbs larger than others for a nice dirt-like appearance.
- Gummy Worms. It’s fun to have a few gummy worms poking out of the top of the pie.
- Pie Crust. A chocolate crumb crust makes this pie extra chocolatey. Use a store-bought crust or make your own.
How to Make Chocolate Dirt Pie.
- Make the Crust. (Optional) If you are making the crust from scratch, prepare it and allow to cool. If you’re using a store-bought crust, skip this step.
- Crush the Cookies. Crush the sandwich cookies into fine crumbs. This way they’re ready to use after you’ve filled the pie.
- Prepare the Filling. For a fluffy–and really easy!–pie filling, follow this recipe: combine two boxes of instant pudding with 1 ¾ cups of milk. Mix until thick. Then whisk in 1 cup of heavy cream. Mix until thick and fluffy. You can do with this a handheld whisk or electric mixer. I like to use an electric mixer for this. It makes the filling really nice and fluffy.
- Fill and Top the Pie. Spread the filling into the pie crust. Sprinkle the crumbs evenly over the top of the pie. Add a few gummy worms if you’re using them.
- Chill for an Hour. This pie tastes best if it chills for at least 30 minutes before serving. (And if you can “chill” while the pie sets, even better.)
Chocolate Dirt Pie
- 8 chocolate sandwich cookies
- 2 (3.9 ounce) boxes instant chocolate pudding
- 1 ¾ cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 9-inch chocolate crumb crust
- Gummy worms optional
Crush the sandwich cookies into crumbs. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the pudding mix with the milk. Mix for one minute. The pudding will be thick. Add the heavy cream. Mix until light, about one minute.
Spread filling into chocolate pie crust. Top with the crushed cookies and a few gummy worms. Chill for 30 minutes.
Store the pie in the refrigerator for up to three days.