Want to make great tasting frozen green beans? It’s easy! Start with a bag of petite green beans (this is key!), add a generous amount of garlic and black pepper, and you’ll make some really fabulous frozen green beans.
How to Cook Frozen Green Beans (So they taste amazing!)
Step One: Buy the Right Green Beans
Good frozen green beans start at the grocery store. Seriously. When shopping you want to select thin green beans. It really matters!
Look for bags labeled
- thin green beans
- petite/tiny green beans
- green beans”
- haricot verts.
- regular green beans. These are often tough and flavorless.
- cut green beans. These tend to be watery
- French cut green beans. These are thinly sliced and, like cut green beans, tend to be watery and bland.
Step Two: Thaw
Remove the green beans from the bag. Place them in a microwave-safe container. Add water and cover. Heat until the green beans are just warm. You don’t need to get them piping hot at this point. Drain the green beans and set aside.
Step Three: Saute with Garlic and Black Pepper
Heat some olive oil in a cast-iron skillet or nonstick frying pan. (You can also use butter for this.) Add several cloves of minced garlic. You want to use way more than you think you need. Then add lots of freshly ground black pepper.
Cook until the garlic is golden brown. Stir the garlic occasionally while cooking it. This prevents it from burning.
Then add the green beans. They’ll sizzle nicely when you add them to the pan.
Cook until they’re bright green. There shouldn’t be any water left in the pan. Shake the pan occasionally as the beans cook.
Salt to taste and serve.
That’s really it. Simply start with a good bag of petite green beans, add a generous amount of garlic and black pepper, and you’ll make some really fabulous frozen green beans.
How to Cook Frozen Green Beans
Great tasting green beans from the freezer? Yes! Start with petite green beans, add some garlic and black pepper and you're all set!
- 1 (12 ounce) bag Petite whole green beans, see note
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced or put through a garlic press
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt, to taste
Place green beans in a microwave-safe container. Add water. Cover. Microwave until green beans are thawed but not hot, about 45 seconds. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until oil shimmers but does not smoke. Add the garlic and black pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is light brown.
- Add the drained green beans to the skillet. Shake the pan to coat the beans in the oil. Cook until beans are hot, about three to four minutes.
- Season with kosher salt to taste.
It's important to use petite (thin) green beans in this recipe. Traditional green beans are too large and cut or French cut green beans are too watery. Be sure to check the bag before buying.