Instant pudding makes it easy to make this pie. Inspired by the flavor of peppermint bark, this pie will quickly become a holiday favorite!
If you love fluffy pies, try my recipe for easy chocolate mousse pie.
How to make Fluffy Peppermint Bark Pie
- Make the chocolate-peppermint layer. Combine instant chocolate pudding with milk and mix until thick. Then add heavy cream and peppermint flavor and whip until fluffy. Spread this into a chocolate crumb crust.
- Make the vanilla layer. Repeat with instant vanilla pudding. For this layer, omit the peppermint flavor. If you use peppermint in both layers, it overpowers the pie. Spread the vanilla pudding over the chocolate layer.
- Chill before serving. Plan on making this pie at least 30 minutes before serving. While it’s ready to eat as soon as you make it, the texture is better if you wait at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Top with whipped cream and crushed candy canes. After chilling, top the pie with whipped cream or whipped topping. Then sprinkle crushed candy canes over the top.
Can I use regular pudding?
I haven’t tried this recipe with cook and serve or homemade pudding.
What’s the difference between peppermint extract and mint extract?
Peppermint extract is made from only peppermint. Mint extract is a blend of different mints, usually peppermint and spearmint. For this recipe, peppermint extract is highly recommended.
Fluffy Peppermint Bark Pie
For the Crust
- 1 (9-inch) chocolate crumb crust
For the Chocolate Peppermint Layer
- 1 (3.9 ounce box) instant chocolate pudding
- 1 cup cold whole milk
- ½ cup cold heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
For the Vanilla Layer
- 1 (3.9 ounce box) instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup cold whole milk
- ¼ cup cold heavy cream
For the Topping
- 2 cups whipped cream or whipped topping
- 2 candy canes, crushed
Prepare the Chocolate-Peppermint Layer: Combine the chocolate pudding with the cold whole milk. Mix until thick. Add the heavy cream and peppermint extract. Whip until thick and fluffy. Spread into chocolate crumb crust. Set aside.
Prepare the Vanilla Layer: Combine the vanilla pudding with the cold milk. Mix until thick. Add the heavy cream. Whip until thick and fluffy. Spread evenly over the chocolate-pepper layer.
Chill pie for at least 30 minutes. Spread whipped cream over the top of the pie. Sprinkle crushed candy canes evenly over the whipped cream.
Serve the pie. Store in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Pudding: Use instant pudding for this recipe. Cook and serve pudding doesn’t work.
Peppermint extract. For the best flavor, use peppermint extract, not mint extract, which is a blend of peppermint and spearmint and doesn’t taste like peppermint bark.
Crushed Candy Canes. A few crushed candy canes are a lovely topping. If you don’t want to use something crunchy, crush a few Oreos and sprinkle over the pie.