Here’s how to cook frozen broccoli in your air fryer so it turns out crisp and not soggy.
If you’re looking for an almost effortless way to make frozen broccoli taste great, the air fryer is the answer. Since an air fryer is basically a tabletop convection oven, it makes frozen broccoli taste like it’s been roasted. And the best part? It takes less than 15 minutes from start to finish.
Tips for Making Air Fryer Frozen Broccoli.
- Don’t thaw the broccoli. It might sound odd but cooking the broccoli from frozen, rather than thawing it first, helps it turn out nice and crisp.
- Do use oil. A little oil helps the broccoli turn out flavorful and keeps it from sticking to the pan. Use a drizzle of olive oil or a quick spray of cooking spray.
- Don’t forget to give it a shake. About halfway through cooking, give the basket a shake. If you’ve got a tray air fryer, gently turn them with a spatula. This helps the broccoli brown evenly.
What’s the best broccoli to use?
Broccoli florets–which are the top part of the broccoli–are perfect for the air fryer. If you grab a bag of broccoli cuts, which include the stems, no problem. They take the same amount of time to cook.
Just avoid any frozen broccoli that comes with a sauce. The sauce can burn in the air fryer.
Do you need to preheat the air fryer?
No. There’s no need to preheat your air fryer. Simply add the frozen broccoli to the basket or tray, set the temperature and cook for about 12 minutes.
How do you season frozen broccoli?
You can season this broccoli with anything from simple salt and pepper to a spicy drizzle of sambal oelek. Here are some seasonings to try.
- Garlic and Onion Powder. Season the frozen broccoli with garlic and onion powder plus salt and pepper.
- Butter. After cooking, toss the broccoli with butter and salt.
- Sambal oelek. Drizzle a little sambal oelek over the cooked broccoli. It adds a nice spicy flavor.
- Parmesan cheese and black pepper. Add a handful of grated parmesan and a generous amount of black pepper to the cooked broccoli.
- Lemon juice. You might be surprised that lemon juice pairs well with bitter broccoli. But it does. Squeeze lemon juice onto the broccoli right after it comes out of the air fryer.
Air Fryer Frozen Broccoli
- 12 ounces frozen broccoli florets
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, optional
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder, optional optional
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste to taste
Place frozen broccoli florets into the basket or onto the tray of an air fryer. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper over the top. (If your air fryer tray has holes, do this in a bowl.) Shake or toss the broccoli to coat.
Air fry at 390℉ for for 5 minutes. Shake the air fryer basket or toss the broccoli on the pan. Air fry for an additional 7 minutes or until broccoli is hot and lightly brown on the tips. Serve and enjoy.
- Buttery Broccoli. Melt 2 teaspoons butter and toss onto cooked broccoli before serving.
- Cheesy Broccoli. Toss broccoli with 1/4 cup grated parmesan before serving.
- Spicy Broccoli. Drizzle sambal oelek over cooked broccoli. Lemon Broccoli. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the cooked broccoli.