It’s simple to make fluffy pancakes from scratch with this easy recipe. You only need one bowl, a few ingredients, and about five minutes.
How to Make Easy Pancakes from Scratch: Three Things to Know.
- Make the batter. You can make these pancakes with ingredients you probably keep in the house.: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt plus eggs, milk, and oil. That’s it! Like the fluffy cornmeal pancake recipe, there’s no buttermilk needed —and you don’t have to whip eggs.
- Heat the Griddle. A hot griddle is the key to making fluffy pancakes that are golden brown. Use a greased cast iron or nonstick pan for the best pancakes.
- Flip when bubbles appear. After spooning the batter onto your hot and greased griddle, cook until bubbles appear all over the surface of the pancakes. This takes about two to three minutes.
The Ingredients Needed for Fluffy Pancakes
- Flour. All-purpose flour. Pancakes walk a delicate balance between tender and structure. You want the batter thick enough to hold it’s shape but tender enough to be delicious. All-purpose flour does a great job with this. It contains enough gluten to help the pancakes rise but not so much that they get tough.
- Baking Powder. A generous amount of baking powder makes these pancakes fluffy.
- Granulated Sugar. Adding a little sugar to the batter helps the pancakes to brown evenly and imparts a touch of sweetness.
- Salt. Enhances the flavor. Use table salt (fine salt) for the batter. Kosher or coarse salt doesn’t dissolve as well.
- Milk. Any milk works in this recipe except full-fat coconut milk. If you like the flavor of buttermilk, go ahead and use it. Since the batter uses baking powder for lift, it doesn’t need the buttermilk to rise. Regular milk is fine!
- Eggs. Two eggs provide structure and flavor.
- Oil. To keep things simple, the recipe calls for vegetable oil. If you prefer the flavor of butter, use it instead. Simply replace the oil with melted butter.
- Vanilla Extract. A little vanilla enhances the pancake flavor.
How do I keep pancakes warm?
To keep pancakes warm, place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and set them into a warm (175 degree F) oven.
Can you make pancakes ahead of time?
Yes. You can make them and keep them warm in the oven. Or you can freeze them and thaw when ready to serve.
How to freeze pancakes.
Cook the pancakes as directed. Place on a single layer on a cooling rack or baking sheet. Allow to cool. Place the cooled pancakes into a freezer bag. To prevent sticking, you can place a piece of parchment or waxed paper between each pancake.
Easy Fluffy Pancakes
Fluffy pancakes are easy to make with simple ingredients. No buttermilk or whipped egg whites needed.
- 1 cup (125 grams) flour
- 1 tablespoon (13 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sat
- ¾ cup (177 ml) milk
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup (60 ml) oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- oil or nonstick cooking spray for the griddle
For Serving, optional
- maple syrup
- powdered sugar
- fresh berries
- whipped cream
Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Add the milk, eggs, oil, and vanilla extract. Stir to combine. A few lumps might remain in the batter. This is fine.
Set batter aside while you heat the griddle.
Heat a nonstick or cast iron griddle over medium heat until hot. Grease lightly with oil or nonstick cooking spray.
Spoon batter, about 1/4 cup, onto the griddle. The batter should sizzle lightly when it hits the pan. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip. Cook until set, about anouther1 to 2 minutes.
Serve with syrup and butter or keep pancakes warm in a 175°F oven.